Saturday, December 5, 2009

...and baby makes 3!

So, time for a post I believe. :) Have to get some things in writing so I don't forget them (other things I will post knowing that I will never, ever forget them anyway).

First and foremost, I have been constantly amazed over the past couple days that Ryan and I are parents and that we have this absolutely amazing little man in our lives. I just sit and watch his little faces or snuggle up with him and think how amazingly lucky we are. I realize that I used the word amazing 3 times there, but I just don't see many other words that fit as well.

Conley is a great baby so far! :) He has a big sore on his head from being vacuumed out during delivery. I don't mean a little sore, it was pretty big, more like a burn (they had to actually vacuum him twice which is why it was so bad). Luckily he has lots of dark hair so you can't see it that much and it is looking better every day. Because of that, he was also at higher risk of jaundice, but that is clearing up nicely as well (after a number of heel pricks to on his poor little feet to check his billi levels). Despite these things, he is such a content little guy. He's getting up every 2-3 hours in the middle of the night (more or less), but just eats, gets his diaper changed, and goes back to sleep. He makes the most adorable little faces and always has his hands up by his mouth. He was weighed again yesterday and was at 9lbs and 8oz, up a little from hospital discharge which is great. My sense of size is way off however, because I know that nearly 10lbs is BIG for a baby, but to me he looks just SOOO tiny. I can't imagine a 6 lb baby!

Ryan has been absolutely awesome. He has had this week off from work, and I honestly do not know how I could have survived without him home! Conley is GREAT, but I'm still so sore that Ryan has been doing a ton...he's been super helpful by taking the baby, cleaning, running to the store for embarrassing items, and being uber supportive. He is an amazing daddy which is no surprise. It's weird to think that it's been the 3 of us for nearly a week now and that I feel like we're doing a good job. This precious little man was brought into our lives and we actually know how to be parents! :) Phew!

As for Tytan, he is also doing pretty well. We weren't worried that he would be bad, but were curious as to how he would react. He is definitely interested in the baby to some extent, but has been really good. He likes to know where the baby is and will give him a sniff here and there, but mostly I think he just wants our continued attention. We've been good so far at making an extra effort to do that. He is our first baby after all! :)

I'm feeling better overall, but didn't realize or think through the fact that I would be so sore still. I will be thrilled to wake up one of these mornings and feel good---what a difference it will make once my body is up to par! I've been managing well though and trying to take it easy as much as possible. I know that I haven't blogged about the labor and delivery part yet, so here's a brief summary:

We went in for the cervadil gel on Sunday for appt #1 or 4. We were supposed to be induced on Tuesday, but one cervadil gel later I had regular contractions within a half hour. They weren't uncomfortable, but so regular that they decided to keep me. I went from a 0-2 during that time and got admitted. That started around 12:30 that afternoon and he was delivered 12 hours later. I would say that the first few hours were a cakewalk, then got the epidural once I was at a 4. The epidural only worked on one side at first, so the doc had to come in and readjust the IV which helped. I still have a hard time believing that the epidural worked like it was supposed to though. I started the actual delivery at about 10:15pm and he was born at 12:53am. That's the worst part, obviously. Ugh. Here's my summary of that...

1. People always told me their horror stories about birth.
2. They weren't exaggerating.
3. Delivering him was the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life and I will NOT say that I forgot all about the pain once I held him, but I will say that it was worth it.

So, now he's here and I'm a mommy and Ryan and I have gone from sleeping 8 hours each night to needing much less. Our lives are turned upside down, but at the same time our lives are better than they ever have been, so maybe they were just turned right side up. Either way, life is good!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah! Congratulations! Call me slow, but I just put two and two together regarding our Gina connection lol. I was just thinking that I needed to get back to your blog, because I had a feeling the little man was here . . . as soon as I pulled it up, I recognized him lol!

    He is just TOOOO cute for words!