Friday, February 5, 2010

Work

I've been back to work very PT for about a month now I believe. Very PT. This week is the most hours I've worked and that has been 20. Most weeks have just been home from my computer for the most part. There have been a couple of advantages to this...1) My whole leave is unpaid, but I wanted paychecks so I've been able to spread my PTO out by working PT; 2) I'm planning on working with Conley as much as possible and easing my way back into work rather than jumping back in full-force is wonderful. I'm learning how our schedule will work (for now) and what works and what doesn't, how to get out the door and to meetings on time, etc. So far it has been going well--he's been a very good baby for me when I've been working and when we're home I try to only work when he is napping or on my computer for work when Ryan gets home and we're hanging out watching TV.

As far as daycare, I've also learned in the past month that I will ABSOLUTELY need some. So, my thought is that I have a daycare person that can take him on Tuesdays and some Thursdays. So, I'm trying to rearrange my work schedule so that when I teach classes or have certain meetings he can't attend that they will fall on Tuesdays.

The important thing I need to learn as far as working with him with me is that I need to change my standards.... I might be late to meetings occasionally....I might not be able to give 100% at work...it might mean that my days are LONGER, but the plus side of that is that I'll be WITH him during that time. If he is fussy I need to be okay with that and take a step back from work remembering that he is a baby after all. My boss works with her son a few days a week at the office and she is obviously very understanding and supportive. That's the amazing thing about my workplace--if I have a quick 15-minute meeting where I can't have him, there is always someone willing to watch him. I joke that instead of "it takes a village to raise a child", around our office "it takes an office". Love that. Babies that make noise in meetings are the norm, and I need to be ok with the fact that sometimes that might be MY baby. Babies will be babies, right? :)

WHen I do go back FT I hope and plan to take 1 day off a month for a real mommy-Conley day to do non-work things. That's the other reason I'm glad to not go negative on my PTO for now.

Today is our PJ-laid back-nap day-work from home. TGIF! :) Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment